Share it

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Lack of Motivation? Feeling Guilty?

All athletes have times when the motivation is just not there. For self coached athletes, this is a problem that comes up more than for athletes that have a coach. Coaches provide constant motivation. Most of us have to provide our own motivation. Yesterday, I skipped a run to spend time with my wife and to travel to Sonoma to check it out. It was nice, the weather fine and the company even better. Still, on the drive home, I felt some guilt for skipping my run. Coming home, I still felt some aches and pains from earlier workouts this week and hoped that skipping a run was actually a good thing.

This morning, I woke up and turned on the tv to watch the Wimbledon Final between Roger Federer and Andy Rodick. Both players were seeking something historic. Federer was trying to become the winningest tennis player of all time for Grand Slam tournaments (US OPEN, AUSTRALIAN OPEN, FRENCH OPEN AND WIMBLEDON) and Andy Rodick was trying to win Wimbledon for the very first time. The match was incredible! All tied going into the fifth and deciding set, Federer finally won 16 games to 14. The stamina, speed and athleticism of both athletes was awe inspiring. So inspiring for me, that I just had to hit the trails after the match. Pushing myself hard, I got in a much better workout than had I not watched the match.

So, the lesson to be learned here is that inspiration and motivation can be found almost anywhere, just keep those eyes open.
REMEMBER-quality runs are more important than just putting in the miles.

No comments: